Re: [LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2014 - 19:01:03 EEST

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014, John Rigg wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 12:39:05PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> IMO each channel by default
>> should provide your (Fons') parametric EQ and post fader aux sends.
>
> Those who usually try to record the right sound in the first place might find
> this a nuisance. Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all.

Not having anyting other than level certainly ecourages one to record the
right sound. It has with me.

> The '70s Neve mentioned earlier would likely have used Penny & Giles faders
> with a roughly logarithmic taper (no VCAs). Since this type of fader is made

Ok, I have to ask this somewhere, it may as well be here :) Which log? I
would think .5 db for the same amount of movement the entire fader length
would be logarithmic (log 10). A linear fader would be +6 at top, 0 in the
middle and infinite at the bottom (assuming a 0 to 2 range as Ardour
uses). The standard fader seems to be half way in the middle...
logarithmic with a linear component. It is easy to see why we do not use
linear, and a log 10 would never get to ininity, it would need a special
step at -100 or so to jump there. In fact a log pot would have to have an
extra resistor at the bottom to keep it from ever turning completely off.
The audio taper seems to be made to give good mixing resolution in the
mixing range while still fading to 0 during a fade.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net