Re: [LAD] Digital Effects

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 22 2014 - 20:36:32 EEST

On Friday 22 August 2014 11:35:34 tom@email-addr-hidden did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Fri, August 22, 2014 16:35, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 04:12:12PM +0200, tom@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> >> is it correct that the following two scenarios give the exact same
> >> result?
> >>
> >> (digital audio signal) -> (record) -> (playback) -> (apply fx) ->
> >> (result)
> >>

> >> (digital audio signal) -> (apply fx) -> (record) -> (playback) ->
> >> (result)
> >
> > In both cases the (record),(playback) pair cancels out, so the
> > result should be the same.
>
> Ok.. consequently if a mixing person says, "i'm recording the bass with
> compression and eq, it just makes a better overall mix compared to
> applying after recording" it can be looked at as rubbish (in the
> digital domain).
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

And there is nothing that assaults ones ears more than someone who thinks
he has to have a room thumping bass line, sets it so the axe and drums are
about +20 db, then runs it all thru a fast compressor, "ducking" the rest
of the music in time with the bass.

I had the pleasure of mixing for KISS back in the later '70's, when they
were fairly new, and had stopped into KIVA-TV on a steamy labor day and
offered to do a few hours of music for Jerry's Kids as they weren't due
for the next show, someplace in Texas till the next evening. I purposely
set the axe and drums to be maybe 3 db above the rest of it. I taped
about 5 minutes of it as it went to air and invited Gene to come listen on
our cheap control room monitor when that set was over, which he did
intently for about 4 minutes without a comment, but as the tune was
winding down he said that was the best "amateur" recording he had heard so
far.

Our compressor at the time was one of the best, a CBS Labs Audimax. It
kept us legal, but it took a well trained ear to detect that it was
actually doing anything. I was so impressed by its general invisibility
that every place I went for the next 30 years soon had one of those
replacing whatever the latest sound wrecker was installed by some gung ho
previous "engineer". When I took the position at WDTV, I was in the GM's
office 2 days later pleading for money to go buy a used one, the then
brand new DBX-165 that had been installed 3 weeks earlier pumped and
breathed so bad I compared it to the bedroom sounds from the night before.
The girl that did all the CG work said it reminded her of why they spelled
sex es ee ex, because no one could spell uh, uh UH, UH ,UGH,UGHHHHaaaw.

Strange, the things an old fart remembers. :)

Today the only other compressor I'd bolt into the audio rack would be an
Orban. But weld a cover over the controls so the Program Director can't
try to "make it louder". He'll make it louder yes, and get you cited for
overmod, and cost your station 5 points in the next ratings book because
ears get tired of that crap quickly & the dial gets turned to something
less obnoxious, a death sentence in a multi-station market. BTDT.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)