Re: [LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 23 2014 - 19:57:48 EEST

On Saturday 23 August 2014 12:30:35 Ralf Mardorf did opine
And Gene did reply:

> > > Actually you cant blame a preamp, if the microphone is missing a
> > > PAD switch.
> >
> > A pad would solve the problem, but it's hardly a requirement of a
> > good microphone and a purist would probably say it's a bad idea to
> > add that to a mic. It's just not a professional preamp so I didn't
> > have high expectations.
>
> Some high class microphones for good reasons add a PAD switch. Some of
> the best microphones can't accommodate all signal levels, IOW usually
> the microphone's amp can't handle the input from the capsule. If the
> microphone has got no PAD switch, then you need to back off the
> microphone from the drums or what ever sound source does produce the
> loudness. Indeed, if the microphones amp can handle the signal level,
> using it's PAD switch isn't the best idea, OTOH inaudible more noise
> and what ever else could be caused by the microphone's PAD switch is
> better than not being able to use the microphone, even if not the
> mic's amp should be the culprit. A mic-preamp should be able to handle
> the input from all microphones.
>
> On Sat, 2014-08-23 at 10:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:>
>
> > That is not something I have seen in a mike, but one really should
> > carry an adapter to allow the mike to be fed into a line input.
>
> Neuman and Brauner microphones provide it. Not all microphones need it.
>
> > But my lifelong familiarity with tinnitus started in that quonset
> > hut.
>
> Audio engineers should live in cities. At the moment I'm able to hear
> my tinnitus, perhaps it's louder, because I've got a cold, but usually
> the noise from the city is that loud, that I can't hear my tinnitus.
>
> > And I haven't heard a cricket in 50 some years.
>
> I'm still able to hear crickets. Perhaps your occupational disease is
> more serious.

And has had 40 more years for the 120+ db noise abuse that causes it, to
cause it. I do have some decades on you, Ralf. :) I can hear it right
now, over the noise of several computer fans in this room.

> Anyway, many audio engineers suffer from tinnitus, but
> usually they don't suffer from being cloth-eared, because they did
> something stupid, as many other, even young people do. I'm not sure if
> the audio engineer's occupational disease tinnitus is caused by audio
> signals, tension (mental and/or of the musculature) could cause this
> too.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Cheers, Gene Heskett