Re: [LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2014 - 21:46:01 EEST

On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 20:23 +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 24.08.2014 19:43, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > This
> > on the other hand reminds me of Jerry Bruckheimer and Co.'s scientific
> > soaps. An observation camera shows somebody from behind and the digital
> > forensics guys use an algorithm that calculates the view showing the
> > face of the person, whose face wasn't recorded. Preparing an eggplant is
> > easy to do, handling algorithms faking abilities also is easy to do.
> That just shows you will, and I mean you will, not you could,
> never understand the scientific behind tube emulation, and modular
> emulation of hardware gear.

Winfried Knobloch "Röhrentechnik ganz modern" Pflaum Verlag München ISBN
3-7905-0660-5. IIRC around 20 years ago a former friend released some
notes about this topic in the VDT-Magazin, IIRC he at least has given a
talk at a Tonmeistertagung about it. Anyway, I experienced that
recording an e. guitar from an elCheapo transistor amp with an elCheapo
microphone at low volumes (when living in a rental apartment) always
sounds better, than tube amp and speaker emulations, just the Hughes &
Kettner tube preamp was amazing, when connecting the guitar directly to
the mixer. Guitarix and all proprietary simulations sometimes can be
used, but usually even a Boss CS-3 or Boss OD-2, a parametric EQ
provided by the mixer and e.g. a SPX90II early reflection already beats
Zoom, Guitarix and friends. YMMV! Why are Marshall stacks not replaced
by Zoom, Guitarix and friends directly connected to the PA?