Re: [LAD] Ardour "sampler" feature?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Aug 26 2014 - 21:19:16 EEST

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 12:39 -0500, Devin Venable wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't think such as feature as I'm about
> to describe exists.
>

> I'm making lots of use of the MIDI track functionality. I find myself
> wanting to take an audio segment, convert it to sample, and then use
> it on a midi track. I don't believe there is a way to do this without
> the aide of an external sampler program.
>

> My dream feature? Click on segment, select "convert to sample" and a
> new midi track appears linked to a plugin sampler, ready to play.

While I guess to understand the idea, I disagree and recommend to handle
this tasks individually/manually. I don't use Ardour for MIDI, but it
doesn't mater regarding to my opinion about your feature request. Good
samples need layers, how should layers be detected? Your request likely
is possible as long as no features a sampler should provide are needed,
IOW a sampler automagiocally only could provide what you can do by
copying the segment, so simply copy the segment, is less resource
hungry. As soon as you want the features a sampler provides, I doubt
that just "move file.wave to sampler-midi note on x" could do the trick.