Re: [LAD] Software sound

From: W.Boeke <w.boeke@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2014 - 15:34:59 EEST

Hi Tim,

As an example of attempts to recreate digitally a famous component from the past I would take the Moog 3-stage lowpass filter. This was build using diodes where their non-linearity was exploited in a
careful way, yielding a warm, rich sound. Numerous attempts have been made to do this digitally, resulting in very complicated and CPU-intensive algorithms. I have the feeling that this is not the way
to go. One better can search for methods that can easily be implemented in software and that still sound good.

While experimenting I found that slow, small changes in the waveforms are essential, as well as changes resulting from the excitation level. At that, the kind and value of distortion is important.
Last but not least the basic waveform is determining, a simple pulse or sawtooth isn't enough.
Believe me or not, but I found sounds that I enjoy very much, I can listen to a single note or some simple chords with great satisfaction. And it would be impossible to create them mechanically or
electronically!

The sound of a good piano can be marvelous, but it is always the same sound, you cannot modify it. In contrast, if you get bored by a digital sound, you modify it, or choose another. Vivat software
sounds!

Wouter