Re: [LAD] Software sound

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2014 - 12:49:42 EEST

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:43:23 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-08-30 at 10:13 +0100, W.Boeke wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm able to edit existing Yoshimi sounds, but that's not my point. My
> point is to add a vector control that is similar to the one provided by
> the Yamaha TG33, then you exactly would get a musician friendly control
> to edit sounds. People often can't imagine how effectively different
> sounds can be produced by recording a mixing sequence with a joystick,
> even if it only records volume and fine tune. There is no easier
> effective sound editing than to record a volume/pitch mix with a vector
> control. The joystick could be provided virtually by a GUI, as done by
> Alchemy
> http://www.camelaudio.com/images/ios/1-1-35/iphone/alchemy-mobile-iphone-1-1-35-xy-pads.png .
>
> Instead of using Yoshimi simply providing a MIDI filter that can record
> vector movements and store them and sends it to 4 other synth. The
> vector simply could send CC data for volume.
>
> IOW the MIDI filter, perhaps using the same CC as the TG33, IOW CC 16
> vector x-axis and CC 17 vector y-axis are translated to CC 7 volume for
> 4 different synths and then is send to them. The MIDI filter will record
> the sequence of the vector control and MIDI channels of the 4 synth in
> presets.
>
> JFTR have you ever used a vector controlled synth such as the TG33?

I started out with an SY 22, then 'upgraded' to an SY 35 (which I still have)
and I also have a TG33.

Vector control is very interesting, but in reality I found I haven't made a lot
of use of it.

As has been mentioned, we hope eventually to have a full-fat MIDI-learn, and
one of the ideas is to have the ability for one CC to simultaneously control
several parameters at the same time. This would give you more than vector
control.

All that's needed now is time + programming experience!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk