Re: [LAD] Some questions about the Jack callback

From: Mark D. McCurry <mark.d.mccurry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2014 - 19:34:28 EEST

On 09-20, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> The thing to be avoided is code that e.g. generates a heavy load
> every fourth period and does almost nothing in the three periods in
> between. Or a synth that generates a peak load whenever a voice is
> started and much less while the note lasts. IIRC yoshi/zyn use FFTs
> in some of the algorithms, so this sort of thing could happen.

Yeah, the cost of starting an additive synthesis note can be fairly
expensive as with a worst case instrument and default settings you'd
need to do 256 1024-point IFFTs per part and a bunch of math leading
upto the transform (in addition to all sorts of other initialization
stuff (like the memory allocation which I just finally removed)).
I've got this cost almost removed in my local version, but it's not
release ready.

--Mark