Re: [LAD] Audio over net - an observation

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2014 - 19:12:05 EEST

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 08:52:10AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> version available from another party). Yet Focusrite sells a RedNet
> PCIe card for around $800... one hopes it has more on it than an
> ethernet port :) That looks like a sound card to the computer. This

Actually, it does not. It's a glorified DMA buffer attached to a
PTP-capable NIC/MAC.

Chances are it's somewhat flexible wrt layer-2 protocols, but other than
that, it's really just a media converter with a clock.

You can have all this for way less money these days, but back then, if
you were a theatre or an opera with a multi-million budget, you wouldn't
care about $800 for the playback engine.

I've seen Ardour outputting to this card, and I've briefly discussed
open-sourcing the driver at Frankfurt musikmesse in 2012. The 3rd party
vendor wasn't particularly reluctant, so if you want to give it a try,
feel free to reach out to them.

Cheers

--
mail: adi@email-addr-hidden  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver