Re: [LAD] Audio over net - an observation

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2014 - 05:21:50 EEST

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 08:52:10AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> I am looking forward to testing Fons' n2jbridge jack backend.
>
> But do you have anything to connect it to ?

Yes. Though what I have right now would not make it make sense. What I
want to do woth it down the road would.

> A backend using the njbridge format makes sense only when
> connected to some hardware audio interface (analog or digital),

Yup, that is why. Network transport is best with what you already have.
The only reason for a jack back end of this sort is to use ethernet as an
audio card/interface.

> or to emulate netjack.
>
> The latter means a master/slave relationship, which is exactly
> what the whole njbridge design wants to avoid (two reasons for
> that being that 1. it doesn't scale and 2. it's fragile (if the
> master has a problem the slaves will fail as well).

But in the case where the master is the only audio IF for a DAW it starts
to make sense again.

> All the rest of the logic would stay in place, to ensure
> a defined latency regardless of how the periods on backend
> and transmitter are aligned (they could even be different).

Yes I could see that.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net