Re: [LAD] [Bulk] Linux Kernel Lockup

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 30 2014 - 03:22:37 EET

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 23:17:48 +0000
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I don't know if anyone here has heard about this. I discovered the
> link quite by accident.
>
> http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1411.3/02866.html
>
> If you're using 3.17 it might be an idea to step back to 3.16, which
> so far seems to be OK. I've been using 3.16 for several months now
> and not had any problems.

$ pacman -Q linux linux-rt linux-rt-lts
linux 3.17.4-1
linux-rt 3.14.25_rt22-1
linux-rt-lts 3.10.58_rt62-2

No problems with 3.17.4 and all versions 3.17.<4 here, with one
exception, building modules for the outdated virtualbox version 4.3.12
still works for kernels <= 3.16 (with and without rt patch), but
doesn't work for 3.17 kernels. Building the virtualbox modules for
kernels 3.17 works for current version of virtualbox, unfortunately USB
is broken for all versions of virtualbox > 4.3.12. A while ago rt
kernels > 3.8.13-rt locked my AMD machine, but that doesn't happen
any more, e.g. the above listed linux-rt are ok, at least for
non-audio work, I didn't used them for audio.

However, some distros for good reasons provide LTS kernels, for Arch
Linux it is

$ pacman -Si linux-lts | grep Version
Version : 3.14.25-1

Regards,