Re: [LAD] OPEN CONTROL ARCHITECTURE

From: Frederick Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 28 2015 - 15:51:38 EET

On Feb 28, 2015, at 00:00 29, Len Ovens <len@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> Zeroconf discovery is not that helpful on it's own as I found when I started playing with Avahi. It can tell you where a device is and if that device is multicasting a stream, tell you the address and spec of the stream. Control functions seem to be left to http browser setups. These would be whatever the manufacture decides to set up.

Or in traditional Un*x terms: the mechanism has been specified, but not the policy.

> Looking at:
> http://www.telosalliance.com/support/Livewire-and-RAVENNA
> The words:
> "Does this mean Livewire is going away?
>
> No! Think of this new RAVENNA broadcast protocol as Livewire 2.0."
>
> It looks like the new livewire is Ravenna. Though they may just be talking audio transport, control might be a different matter.

Compatibility is strictly at the RTP level. The control systems (not to mention little details like GPIO transport) inhabit completely different planets. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| There is only one thing worse than having your competitors trying |
| to inter-operate with your systems - and that is to have your |
| competitors *not* trying to inter-operate with your systems. |
| --Alan(UK), GrokLaw.net |