Re: [LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2015 - 23:39:51 EEST

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 06:34:25AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> A knob is ok if it works similar. Knobs that insist that I touch the
> knob pointer and move that in a tiny arch to adjust and where the
> pointer flips from one end to the other if I make the wrong move are
> not easier to move on stage...

That's just bad design.

> A knob picture is fine, it shows the
> user "this is a continuously variable control" while using a lot
> less screen realestate than a slider would.

Exactly. Also our vision is much better at perceiving angles than
linear positions, in particular in situations where you have to
verify something quickly.

Something similar is true for real knobs. They provide support
for your hand while you're using them. Try controlling a linear
fader on a portable recorder while you're running.

> A knob that looks like a
> knob but works like a slider is what is needed. Being able to change
> value by moving the knob (or trying to) up and down or left and
> right is much more usable than trying to move the mouse in tiny
> circles. I would suggest being able to adjust using both up/down and
> left/right so that controls can be close to screen edge and still
> work.

All the 'rotary' controls on my apps work that way. And you can
also adjust them with the mouse wheel. Finer steps with Shift
pressed.

Ciao,

--
FA