Re: [LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 25 2015 - 01:10:55 EEST

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 01:14:08AM +0200, tom@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> The only point i'd challenge is that "play around a bit" isn't useful. I
> even think if developers don't do it themselves, it's absolutely necessary
> that users do it. If you're too focused on stuff that should work, you
> won't find out all the stuff that doesn't. And finding that out in a
> non-playing around session isn't fun, so better play beforehand :)

Agreed, playing around to get to know your equipment or software
is a good thing to do, certainly if later you have to use it in
potentially stressy circumstances. Any professional will do that,
and probably won't mind if things don't work immediately and he
or she has to consult some documentation or configure something.
But it's not that sort of playing around that I referred to.

There is a class of users (non-users would be more correct) that
will 'play around' with everything they can get their hands on
without having any intention to really learn anything. Just for
the fun of it, to kill some time and because it's free anyway.
Since they have no real interest in whatever they are playing with,
they will give up immediately when they don't get instant results
or have to think for longer than a second. Those are also the ones
that will complain about 'bad user eXperience'. As said before,
I'm not interested in that type of user.

Ciao,

--
FA