Re: [LAD] GuitarSynth

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 28 2015 - 16:58:42 EEST

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:48:54 +0200, Gerald wrote:
>On 28.04.2015 12:31, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> PS: Keep in mind that A440 not necessarily is always true. When you
>> program, please keep in mind, that one day, when your program should
>> be able to do what you want it to do, users should be able to chose
>> the pitch for non-standard A in decimal place steps.
>well the goal is to not that dependent on the frequencies being played,
>but rather on the timbre/frequency envelope of the instrument. This way
>not the current tuning would be the serious issue,
>but the declining quality of the strings over time.

Hi Gerald,

are you sure that even playing technique wouldn't be an issue that way?
Bend, slide, hammer on, pull off, muted, fingertip, plectrum or even
different kinds of strings, 09 - ... nickle round wound, 10 - ... steel
flat wound etc.? Ok, if you don't mix the original guitar signal with
the converted signal/MIDI instrument, you don't need to mute and perhaps
you can resist to play a mix of fingertip and plectrum, but you likely
will slide, hammer on and pull off, not only when playing
monophonic, but also when playing chords. IOW even if your software can
learn what the "main" timbre on different strings and octaves for
different tones is, does it work for guitar playing techniques or does
the guitarist need to play the guitar in a keyboard style?

A simple example, without or even with compressor, play

g string - fret 3 and slide to fret 5, hold the tone
d string - fret 3 and slide to fret 5, hammer on and pull off fret 7

do the same, but instead of fret 3, start somewhere behind fret 12, at
least without compression already the loudness could become an issue,
while you still clearly hear changing frequencies.

That were just 2 tones.

Now play

e string - fret 3 hold the tone
b string - fret 3 hammer on and pull off fret 5
g string - fret 4 hold the tone
d string - fret 5 hold the tone

If you like you could slide the g chord to an a chord before you do the
hammering. Do this on different positions, e.g. play a c chord this way.

Perhaps I misunderstand what "timbre/frequency envelope" is.

Regards,
Ralf