Re: [LAD] cpu spikes

From: Fokke de Jong <fokkedejong@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 08 2016 - 12:07:16 EET

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you an update on my quest for super-low-latency.
I bit the bullet and compiled a rt-kernel.
And the result is super-stable audio with a period of 32 samples @48Khz (for a total roundtrip latency of 3.5ms).
With a (peak) cpu load hovering around 70% on all 4 cores I don’t get any xruns anymore. (even when running a bloated desktop that comes with mint :-)

I only tested it running for a few minutes, we’ll see what happens when running for a few hours, but I’m happy so far.
My conclusion is that the lowlatency kernel is nice for lowish latency with a load that isn’t too high, but it just doesn’t cut it for high demanding work.

I want to thank you all for your input, I have learned a lot.

cheers,
Fokke