Re: [LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2016 - 21:37:48 EET

On 03/07/2016 08:19 AM, Markus Seeber wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 02:12 AM, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>> Greetings, everyone. Since I am using 85% of JACK DSP in my primary
>> production box, while using 14% of the CPU and 1/8 of the RAM according
>> to htop, it appears that I need to develop a way to move forward :-)
> 14% of what? One physical core? One virtual core? All cores?
Eight physical cores.
>> I would like to use the power of my box to do the same internally.
> Jack should be doing this already in a single instance.
No, it should not, as you explained! :-)
> From what I just read:
>
> * You noticed, that there is a high DSP load for JACK
> * You noticed, that there is a low CPU load on you box, which has most
> likely multiple physical cores?
>
> So I assume you think the following:
> Ok, my Hardware still has free CPU resources, and since JACK is supposed
> to be a smart thing, it should be able to utilize all of my CPU cores.
Best to not assume. :-)

What is happening right now, is I have seven synth+filter chains, all
run through the single JACK server, all feeding eventually into the one
sound card. I have more than ample CPU to run them all, but as you and
others have explained, one JACK server is reaching its limits to handle
them all because of the limits of the synchronous nature of everything.
So what I intend to do, is to run all of the chains independently,
asynchronously, on their own JACK servers, and then combine them all
into a separate final which will connect to the sound card. This is
being done already with as many motherboards as desired, but I would
like to do it within one very powerful box.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!