Re: [LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2016 - 15:12:37 EET

On 03/08/2016 06:57 AM, Markus Seeber wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 08:37 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> [...]
>> What is happening right now, is I have seven synth+filter chains, all
>> run through the single JACK server, all feeding eventually into the one
>> sound card. I have more than ample CPU to run them all, but as you and
>> others have explained, one JACK server is reaching its limits to handle
>> them all because of the limits of the synchronous nature of everything.
>> So what I intend to do, is to run all of the chains independently,
>> asynchronously, on their own JACK servers, and then combine them all
>> into a separate final which will connect to the sound card. This is
>> being done already with as many motherboards as desired, but I would
>> like to do it within one very powerful box.
> Since you did not give much case specific information about the topology
> of your processing chain, it is hard to tell where the problem is in
> your case and how to solve it. Not sure what's up about all this
> asynchronous talk, maybe we talk past each other? (pun intended)
> Maybe some visualisation of your jack graph could help, I think patchage
> can export the structure of that into a dot/graphviz file, you could
> attach that. Information about the strain each of these filters puts on
> the CPU would be helpful as a hint too. That would not be the number at
> the top of htop, but next to the process of each of these filters.
>
> Except from that, Paul and Fons already made the point about how this is
> supposed to work.
OK. I should be able to have the box off-PA in a few days, and will
work out producing a Patchage export and a ps aux export at load.

In the meantime, we are talking about this:
http://lsn.ponderworthy.com/doku.php/concurrent_patch_management

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!