Re: [LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 14:17:21 EET

On Fri, March 11, 2016 6:58 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 03/11/2016 08:03 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> If this cannot be fixed in JACK directly we should be able to spin up
>> multiple instances on the same machine and have them play nice with each
>> other.
>
> and how would that be different from splitting the current graph in JACK
> and not preform worse?

Currently it seems that we cant do either so which method is preferable?

According to Jonathan's results he is finding a bottle neck with JACK DSP
with a single server. In the absense of a fix for JACK so that it is not a
bottle neck his solution is to run multiple servers on the same machine.
However it seems that it is not possible to have more than 2 instances of
JACK running on the same machine without using a virtual
machine/environment.

According to Paul the issue is that we should not rely on JACK to create a
processing graph like Jonathans.

I don't see much difference between a single server with multiple graphs
or multiple servers However if JACK is getting overloaded with a single
server and we can't split the graph up internally then it makes sense to
me that we enable more than two instances of JACK on the same machine
without forcing people to use docker or some other virtual environment.

Is the issue with multiple servers a priority problem or is it just that
no one has ever bothered to test more than two instances on the same
machine before?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd