Re: [LAD] LV2 plugin host MIDI channel number detection

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2016 - 04:37:42 EET

On Tue, March 15, 2016 7:03 pm, Yassin Philip wrote:

> On 03/16/2016 01:49 AM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 03/16/2016 02:45 AM, Yassin Philip wrote:
>>
>>> But... How do other plugins do?
>> most listen to all channels.
> I meant, how do they do that? I suppose it's in the LV2 ttl file
> <https://bitbucket.org/xaccrocheur/kis/src/2d12ab34ff10c67a0f99fa562fa50560f19454a3/kis.ttl?fileviewer=file-view-default>,
> I'd like to know where to look in the LV2 docs, but I somehow confuse
> terms, port index, channel number..?

Are you kidding? MIDI is a single data stream... two wires to form the
circuit. Channels are just different data. So the plugin receives 16
channels (if it wants them or not). The plugin has to filter the data to
get the channel(s) it wants to play with. The plugin can decide to deal
with only one channel and throw the rest of the data away, or it can
assign each channel to do different things such as a different sound for
each channel. I suppose a plugin could be made that treated all 16
channels as if they were the same, but most people would call that broken.
On the other hand, the controlling keyboard can decide to only send one
channel (Like my DX7 BTW) or more than one. Keyboards with auto
accompaniment would use other channels for drums, bass and chording and
leave the keyboard input it's own channel or channels. A single keyboard
might split the keyboard to send potions of the keyboard with different
channel data.... but in the end it all goes over the same wire.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net