Re: [LAD] LV2 plugin host MIDI channel number detection

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2016 - 10:55:50 EET

On 2016-03-16 02:03, Yassin Philip wrote:
> On 03/16/2016 01:49 AM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 03/16/2016 02:45 AM, Yassin Philip wrote:
>>
>>> But... How do other plugins do?
>>
>> most listen to all channels.
> I meant, how do they do that? I suppose it's in the LV2 ttl file [5],
> I'd like to know where to look in the LV2 docs, but I somehow confuse
> terms, port index, channel number..?

by listening to all channels Robin meant they *ignore* midi channel
number altogether aka. omni mode.
that is to say, they respond to all midi channel messages the same way.
most probably you're facing a mono-timbral/single instrument plugin.

otoh. multi-timbral instruments *do* discriminate midi channel messages
by assigning one instrument patch/synth per
midi channel address and often they present a pool of 16 slots per midi
input port.

the lv2 spec has nothing to do with this, so don't look there for
clues--it's all genuine midi implementation related and applies to all
midi sound generator modules, hardware or software.

hth.
cheers

--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela