Re: [LAD] Opening jalv.select window from the command line (Was:jalv.select released V0.5)

From: Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2016 - 17:47:28 EEST

Am 28.03.2016 um 15:00 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
> (I'm not sure what is the best channel to discuss jalv.select
> development other than opening a Github issue right away. If this is not
> the right place, please direct to me to an appropriate mailing list.)
>
> Currently, if I have jalv.select already running, whether minimized or
> not, and try to run it again, I get the the following error:
>
> $ jalv.select
> The program 'jalv.select' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
> (Details: serial 10 error_code 10 request_code 33 minor_code 0)
> (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
>
> It is probably a good thing that only one runnning instance of
> jalv.select is allowed, but the error message should probably be more
> helpful (I guess the error has to do with registering the global
> keyboard shortcut for opening the jalv.select window, which doesn't work
> in all desktop environments anyway).

Hi Chris

Yes, it's a failing XGrabKey error.
I've included now a trap to catch the error, and in case XGrabKey
failed, the HotKey will simply be disabled.
The message in terminal will give you a note about that, but you could
run jalv.select in multiple instances (even if it makes no sense)
Indeed, it's hard to find a free HotKey for any Desktop manager, I've
chosen SHIFT+ESCAPE, as it is free here on cinnamon, and my research
didn't pop up a use of it in other Desktop managers. Which desktop do
you run?
Also free here is SHIFT+CONTROL+ESCAPE, which I could set alternatively.

> What I would ideally like is that, if jalv.select is already running and
> you start another instance, the running instance opens its window (if
> minimized). That would require some kind of IPC, so I'm not sure, if
> this is something that's worth adding. As as simple hack, jalv.select
> could just create a socket file at a known location, or it could use
> DBus, which has the advantage that the "open jalv.select window" action
> could be caleld from any generic DBus client.
>
> But it would allow to define a keyboard shortcut to open the jalv.select
> window accross different desktop environments, since you could use the
> feature of your preferred desktop to bind a progranm or script to global
> shortcut.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Chris

I'm all open for patches, pull requests or what ever, gut, I've never
interact with DBus,

regards
hermann