jack-select and DBus (Was: Opening jalv.select window from the command line)

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2016 - 20:09:36 EEST

Am 30.03.2016 um 18:53 schrieb Hermann Meyer:

> Am 30.03.2016 um 13:40 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
>> https://github.com/SpotlightKid/jack-select
>
> I would like to try it, just, I'm a plain jack2 user, no jack-dbus here.

Sorry, since jack-select doesn't start or stop the JACK server directly,
it only communicates with jack-dbus via, well, DBus, plain jack1/2 is
currently not the scenario jack-select was made for.

I don't want to write another process manager for the JACK server
process, QjackCtl is perfectly fine for that.

Maybe in the future as an alternative I'll add support for talking to
QjackCtl's DBus service instead of to jack-dbus directly. jack-select
then would be basically just another, more directly accessible GUI for
part of the functionality of a runnning QjackCtl instance.

It's not something I personally need, though, so someone would need to
convince me that it is useful to somebody.

Chris