Re: [LAD] Opening jalv.select window from the command line (Was:jalv.select released V0.5)

From: Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Thu Mar 31 2016 - 06:45:39 EEST

Am 30.03.2016 um 19:28 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
> Am 30.03.2016 um 18:53 schrieb Hermann Meyer:
>> I've set the fifo-path now to /tmp instead working dir, to ensure that
>> "all" instances use the same fifo and have access to it.
> Not that it's a very common usage scenario, but won't that preclude
> jalv.select being used by different users on the same system at the same
> time? Also any user can control another user's jalv.select process. And
> if you make the fifo file permissions more restrictive, you'll get
> problems with stale files etc.
>
> I think it would be better to determine the fifo path with something
> like this (pseudo code) and set its permissions to 0600:

mkfifo use umask to set the file permission (-0022), so the resulting
permission is 0644, eg. rw-r--r--
means, other users cant control (write) your jalv.select instance.
If jalv.select cant write to a existing fifo, the fifo just get ignored,
so in a multi-user environment, you could start your own jalv.select,
even if the fifo isn't usable for you.

> fifo_path = getenv('JALV_SELECT_FIFO_PATH')
> fifo_path = fifo_path if fifo_path else getenv('HOME') +
> '/.jalv_select_fifo'

I like to have it in /tmp, because, for the case that jalv.select ended
unexpected, the fifo get deleted at lest when you shut down the machine.
In home, it may exist for ever, at least.

> It's issues like these why I think DBus is a better way to do IPC for
> any but the most simple program, which is intended to run in a desktop
> environment anyway.
>

> Chris

Well, maybe DBus is a better solution, but as I said, I've never dealt
with it, . .

regards
hermann