midi bindings -- was Re: [LAD] ZASFX is mean with my Qtractor XML session files

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2016 - 03:49:55 EEST

On 07/08/2016 05:26 PM, Mark D. McCurry wrote:

> Last time I counted the total possible parameters given the default
> number of parts/kits/voices/etc there's a bit over 6,000,000 parameters.
>
> Think about how big of a .ttl that would be :p
>
> The way that MIDI learn works is:
> 1. you select one of these many parameters
> (Middle click or CTRL+right click in the fltk/ntk UI)
> (if you're in a version where this doesn't lauch correctly use
> zynaddsubfx-ext-gui osc.udp://localhost:PORT)
> 2. you send zyn an unbound MIDI CC
> 3. zyn creates an internal mapping from MIDI CC -> internal parameter
>
> This isn't visible as a standard lv2/vst/etc parameter, so it's quite
> non-standard in that sense, but IMO it's a reasonable solution given the
> scope of zyn.
>
> So, remove your doubt and enjoy the non-standard solution to this problem.

+1

setBfree uses exactly the same approach, with a slight difference is
step 2: it does not have to be unbound: one can re-assign in one step.
setbfree is nowhere near 6M parameters, but similarly large.

There was some idea floating around to expose plugin parameter bindings
to a host via LV2 Patch::Set/Get

IMHO that makes sense for effects which otherwise don't parse midi
itself, nor have any synth related concepts of programs or banks.

Note: Any parameter that can be automated on a timeline (exposed as
normal control-port) should never ever be set by a plugin itself via
midi-bindings of otherwise. That'll lead to inconsistent parameters.

ciao,
robin