Re: [LAD] Audio plugins: Streamable audio ports?

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 10 2016 - 18:30:34 EEST

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 6:07:37 PM EDT you wrote:
> Well, technically, VAMP doesn't really do audio-in=>audio-out plugins at
> all, but rather audio-in=>metadata out, so that doesn't really count.
>
> but fundamentally in != out == analysis not realtime.

The term 'realtime' would be a bit muddy here since what I
 had in mind was that the streams could accommodate
 either 'live' or 'offline file' data, in a 'live realtime' mixing sense.

A stream info flag could indicate that the stream is in fact
 'stretchable' or not.

Thus both 'live' and 'file' input could be mixed agnositcally.

The goal would be to have, say LV2, support time-stretch plugins.
Imagine Rubberband as an LV2 stretch plugin.
The plugin can ask for more or less input data.

It seems this is the only type of processing that can't easily
 be supported by current plugin architectures, without building
 special embedded support into the application, since it requires
 pulling variable lengths of input data.

Thanks.
Tim.