Re: [LAD] Tascam US-16x08 0644:8047

From: Greg <linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 30 2016 - 21:54:46 EEST

That's awesome!

I went back to using windows 7 for a bit with my audio device, until eventually
I became fed up with the driver problems (not to mention windows in general) and
tried linux again, this time on a different machine... and it worked!

I suspect the previous USB chipset was causing me more problems than typical,
as I am now very much enjoying the OOTB experience. I did see updates to the
driver as well (workarounds/adding delays) in the time that had elapsed.

As far as 'nice features', I believe that they are mostly useless to me as on
windows they are 'printed', eg, compressor/eq are applied not only to the
monitored output, but also to the bitstream received by the computer. I very
much prefer to be able to capture the raw data and adjust compression/eq after
the fact. In my case with an i5 and Ardour, I am able to run those same fx
and push data back out to the device with usable roundtrip latency. (I use
my US16x08 for live sound during music practice/rehearsal).

However, for certain situations (less processor power - imagine controlling
this device with your tablet!, or an application that is even more sensitive to
latency?) I could see this being immensely helpful. Not only
that, if we crack open this egg, there's the possibility that we could improve
or pave the way to improving the signal chain within the device itself!

I'm happy to test if you'd like to take this off-list. Please document and
share what you have found!

-g