Re: [LAD] aBLETON lINK

From: Tito Latini <tito.01beta@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2016 - 10:25:06 EEST

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:04:53AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 09/19/2016 11:56 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >
> >> why?

> > The OP seems to be suggesting that whoever has access to the data captured
> > by Ableton Link or the potential backdoor that link *might* enable would
> > use it for nefarious purposes.
>
> Ableton link is used to synchronize software and devices on a *LAN*.
> It basically broadcasts BPM and song-position to the *local* network.
>
> Link does not allow to synchronize devices on a WAN.
>
> The complete source code is free (GPLv2) you can read it, no strings
> attached.

I know how to read the code; done before to send the first message.

My question is a provocation for the sleepers.

The synchronization with other devices through the network to share
bpm, time, positions, strings, etc, is not an innovation. Many persons
(me too) use private protocols written ad hoc from scratch to sync the
devices within a room. Non standard protocols, useful for limitated
circumstances.

A standard protocol is better (i.e. NTC, Network Time Code).

I can discover the current protocol used by AL (thanks for the
additional work) and use my network interface to dialog, for example,
with Reason. If AL fixes some problems or decides to change the
protocol, Reason is updated but my code fail. It is necessary
other work to learn the changes.

With a public protocol, there are two or three revisions, then there
is the possibility to get a standard. It is simplest and professional.