Re: [LAD] OSC-generating plugin?

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2017 - 00:52:29 EEST

Robin, Julius,

thanks for your replies. Julius, I wasn't aware of OSC magic in faust -
I recently used it to decode a mic prototype array I was testing, and it
worked like a charm (lazy me just used the online compiler), so I'll
definitely check it out. Will need to understand the realtime issues
that Robin pointed out, though.

On 06/19/2017 09:20 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 06/19/2017 08:07 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> Hi *!
>>
>> Does anybody know of a decent free plugin that generates arbitrary OSC
>> command streams from plugin automation data in the DAW? Preferrably
>> (gasp!) VST? Idea is to use SomeEvilDAW to send and control smart things
>> on a box running a friendly OS and a FriendlyDAW.
>
> Sending OSC is not rt-safe and VST parameters are rather limited.
> "arbitrary messages" are no fun and need all kinds of hacks (eg sending
> them from the UI thread). There are a couple of single-parameter VSTs
> though.

Clarification: "arbitrary" in the sense of "freely configurable", like
so: data type, lower limit, upper limit, default value, OSC string, OSC
target URL.
So the plugin will be pretty static once it's set up. I could even live
with this being compile-time options.

> Along those lines there's an ancient LADSPA plugin, too:
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/noisesmith-linux-audio/downloads
> needs some CFLAGS=-fPIC but otherwise still compiles, but it probably
> won't run in SomeEvilDAW.
>
> A more generic solution: https://github.com/x42/jackmidi2osc
> Receive MIDI from someplace, generate fancy OSC based on rules.

I see. So this would also circumvent the realtime issue, since the
plugin would be using the host's MIDI sending mechanism?

> Spencer wrote a similar tool https://github.com/ssj71/OSC2MIDI/ which
> despite its name can also turn MIDI into OSC.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look at them.

Best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland