Re: [LAD] Linux Support for Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 22 2017 - 06:45:54 EEST

On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 12:47 -0700, Lloyd Dickman wrote:
> I am trying to make a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Generation) work
> as a USB audio capture device with Linux.

Hi,

last time I used my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Generation) with Linux
all digital and analog outs worked without issues. I don't remember if
all inputs work as well. IIRC all inputs also did their job, however, I
need to check this, but at the moment I have got no time to do so.

On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 22:06 +0200, Peter wrote:
> I actually configured nothing, it just worked (using 44.1 and 48 kHz).
> Still, it's annoying that the higher sampling rates do not work,
> and access to the mixer would also be nice.

I didn't test useless sample rates, so I don't know if other sample
rates work as well. The mixer doesn't work, since it's used in class
compliant mode. We know this before we buy the device, so actually I
don't need the mixer. For hardware monitoring I would use a mixing
console, let alone that latency is very low, so even software monitoring
might be possible.

The only drawback of the Focusrite IMO is the sound quality. It can't
compare to professional audio devices, OTOH my RME card was much more
expensive by providing less IOs, let alone that my RME HDSPe AIO doesn't
work correctly with Linux, e.g. just 2 ADAT channels are accessible by
jackd and the latency is not very good. Ardour can't access the RME card
without jackd at all, so I must use jackd.

Résumé:

If the Focusrite doesn't work, much likely something is fishy with your
Linux setup and/or the Focusrite. However, I never touched the mixer
settings, I'm using it with the default mixer settings, less often with
Linux, more often with iOS and usually I'm using the ADAT outputs and
one of the weak lofi headphone outputs only.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Vote for apulse!