Re: [LAD] USB audio interface

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 02 2017 - 15:59:16 EEST

Hi,

in December 2016 I bought a B-Stock Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL for
309.00 €, but I send it back, because it didn't work with iOS. It works
with Linux. In January 2017 I bought a brand new Focusrite Scarlett
18i20 2nd Gen for 382.00 €. It works with Linux as well as with iOS and
allows lower latency than the Presonus.

Neither the headphone amp of the Presonus, nor the one of the Focusrite
could compare to my PCIe RME card, but sound quality of all IOs is as
expected for pro-sumer devices. You won't get a professional audio
device for <= 500.00 €.

My recommendation is the Focusrite. Behringer devices are less
expensive, but since reviews mentioned power supply issues, I wouldn't
buy one, even if they should sound good and if they should work with
Linux OOTB. With other Behringer gear I experienced power supply issues
myself.

Consider to buy a Focusrite, test it and return it if you aren't
satisfied [1]. If you could wait, you might get a special offer for less
than 400.00 €, too, the regular price is > 450.00 € at the moment.

For that price range the Focusrite IMO is a good choice. If you could
spend more money, a Babyface with an ADAT device much likely is a
better choice. FWIW I've got an ADAT device, the Focusrite could be
extended by ADAT and S/PDIF, so if you use both, you get 18 inputs and
20 outputs.

https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/31605/scarlett-18i20-2nd-gen-user-guide.pdf

It's perhaps better to send such a request to Linux Audio User, than to
Linux Audio Dev.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] It doesn't make sense to say more about the Focusrite, since you
never know if all devices work in the same way. It's said that the
Presonus should work with iOS, but for me it doesn't. It's said that my
RME card should work with Linux, but it does cause issues, IOW not
everything works. So if I would spend time to write more about the
Focusrite, it might not be helpful, since it might be different, if you
use the device.