Re: [LAD] DSP transients

From: Mark McCurry <mark.d.mccurry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2017 - 17:59:53 EEST

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> This won't tell you *where* in the code the issue is - but does give you a
> reproducable test
> case and some input on if DSP load is consistent. If you want to know
> *where* in the code most of
> the time is spent, then using linux perf tools or similar might be useful.

If something more fine grained is desired I had some luck using valgrind to dump
detailed statistics for every execution of the audio process() callback.
Valgrind will tell you where the problem is as long as it's CPU bound and
not memory/IO bound operations causing the issue.
This was pretty helpful for smoothing out some of the overhead that
ZynAddSubFX had
in older versions.
The writeup is somewhat rough, but my old notes for using valgrind to profile
transient CPU load are stored at:
http://log.fundamental-code.com/2013/09/07/profiling-realtime-code.html

--Mark