Re: [LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? RESEND: Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

From: Ralf Mattes <rm@email-addr-hidden-freiburg.de>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2017 - 10:56:31 EEST

Am Dienstag, 19. September 2017 09:48 CEST, Philip Rhoades <phil@email-addr-hidden> schrieb:

> People,
>
> I didn't get a response to this - can anyone help?

See below.

> On 2017-09-05 14:12, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > For playing from multiple sources, ALSA plus the version of .asoundrc
> > below has been rock-solid for a couple of years now:
> >
> > I now want to use things like "recordmydesktop" which work fine with
> > the mic but they do not record sound from audio or video clips that
> > are playing eg from YouTube or local mpv etc. So, yet again, I
> > started to try and make sense of JACK because I was pretty sure that
> > it could solve this problem - but I have found sound on linux has
> > always been a major pain and messing around with configs and rebooting

Sorry, but if you think you need to reboot after configuration changes then you might
need to read up a bit on how things work.

> > etc on my big workstation is tedious so I think I will try to get
> > something working on my laptop to begin with.
> >
> > Hopefully some jack gurus will have some suggestions about how to do
> > what I want to do? I presume it is possible?

Given your goal, I'd strongly suggest you install cadence (requires jackd2 because
of d-bus) and enable the alsa->jack bridge. You might even want to enable the
pulseaudio->jack bridge. That's three clicks to a working audio setup.

 HTH, Ralf Mattes