Re: [LAD] Polyphonic normal guitar to midi: Jam Origins' MIDI-Guitar

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jun 27 2018 - 09:49:50 EEST

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 15:03:04 -0400, Tim wrote:
>If I understand correctly the theory goes something like this:
>If you are looking for a dog in a picture, far better to compare
> with real pictures of dogs already stored than to only have
> a rough mathematical idea of what a dog should look like.

Yes, they seemingly solved one issue of several issues.

What happens when playing the following chord

A7#9
  e a d g b e
6 | | | o | |
7 | | o | | |
8 | | | | o o

and while holding the chord bending the b and e string at the 8th fret?

Keep in mind that using a divided pickup it's possible to e.g.
use modeling for the e, a and d string, e.g. a neck pickup of a
Stratocaster, with a Drop D tuning (while the guitar is a LesPaul not
tuned to a Drop D tuning), while the g, b and e string send MIDI
messages to 3 different MIDI channels.

>There is talk of this software obsoleting using special pickups.
>I would tend to agree, it's pretty darn good.

Perhaps if the purpose is sending MIDI events only, but a guitar synth
provides more. You individually could change the volume and tuning of
each strings output, you could change the velocity curve. Some sounds
such as a lead synth allow pitch bend, while bending a guitar string,
other sounds, such as a grand piano don't allow this. In addition you
could mix it with all kinds of modeling.

>> My new guitar additionally has got a Sustaniac driver.
>
>Ah, just looked that up.
>Similar to the famous e-bow hand-held sustainer?

Yes, but it could add endless sustain to a note and by a three position
switch fade to 2 different kinds of harmonics to simulate feedback.