Re: [LAD] Fwd: ( Custom Arch Linux or Custom Ubuntu Studio ) for ( Proffesional Audio & Game Audio Development )

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2018 - 21:16:07 EEST

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 19:30:43 +0200, Juan BioSound wrote:
>​Ok, AVLinux could be better than Arch or Ubuntu Studio???
>What's the official page of AVLinux???​

Hi,

Arch Linux always is a "custom Linux", there is nothing such as a
default Arch Linux. By it's policy it e.g. doesn't start a service, when
installing a package providing a service. A default install even does
come without a graphical environment.

You could install Ubuntu from the server image, by even disabling a lot
of the packages provided by it's installer, then you would get also an
install even without a graphical environment, but services
automagically get started, even if they should be counterproductive for
your purpose.

The _A_rch _U_ser _R_epository provides a well maintained linux-rt,
official Ubuntu repositories linux-lowlatency.

Arch is a rolling release and Ubuntu Studio, as an official Ubuntu
flavour is a release model distro, with different policies for the
official repositories.

"Main – Officially Supported, Open-Source Software:

Licence: Open Source
Updates: Canonical provides critical updates.

Restricted – Officially Supported, Closed-Source Software:

Licence: Proprietary
Updates: Canonical provides critical updates supplied by the developers.

Universe – Community-Maintained, Open-Source Software:

Licence: Open source
Updates: Canonical does not provide update.
Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.

Multiverse – Unsupported, Closed-Source and Patent-Encumbered Software:

Licence: Unknown
Updates: Canonical does not provide updates.
Some updates may be provided by Ubuntu community." -
https://askubuntu.com/questions/58364/whats-the-difference-between-multiverse-universe-restricted-and-main

Some software isn't provided at all regarding Ubuntu's policy
(resp. Debian's policy, since Debian is Ubuntu's upstream), while
there isn't such a restriction for Arch Linux, e.g. see

[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# pacman -Si linuxsampler | head
Repository : community
Name : linuxsampler
Version : 2.1.0-2
Description : Professional-grade audio sampler alternative to Gigasampler
Architecture : x86_64
Licenses : custom
Groups : pro-audio
Provides : None
Depends On : libgig jack sqlite

Ubuntu as well as Debian spilt software from upstream to several
packages, Arch Linux usually doesn't, so e.g. header files are usually
not provided by a separated package. Ubuntu's as well as Arch's package
management provide options to automagically handle packages, see e.g.
Ubuntu comes with helpers such as dpkg-divert...

[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio man dpkg-divert | grep DES -A 5
DESCRIPTION
       dpkg-divert is the utility used to set up and update the list of diversions.

       File diversions are a way of forcing dpkg(1) not to install a file into its location, but to a diverted location. Diversions can be used through the Debian package scripts to move
       a file away when it causes a conflict. System administrators can also use it to override some package's configuration file, or whenever some files (which aren't marked as "conf-
       files") need to be preserved by dpkg, when installing a newer version of a package which contains those files.

...Arch Linux provides pacman.conf with e.g. an option to skip files
from being installed.

AVLinux is a Debian derivative http://lmgtfy.com/?q=avlinux , so it
has got a smaller community, less developers etc., I doubt that this is
"better", it's different.

You might want to join

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-securityink,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.17.3-1