Re: [LAD] USB audio on RPi3B+

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 27 2018 - 16:32:41 EEST

On 07/07/2018 05:47 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone tried using multichannel USB audio on a Raspberry 3B+ ?
>
> It seems to work perfectly (using zita-alsa-pcmi) with stereo cards.
>
> When I try my RME Babyface (12 in, 12 out) in CC mode, the device
> opens without problems, but then Alsa_pcmi::pcm_wait() times out
> waiting for the poll fd to become ready. Timeout in pcm_wait() is
> 1000 milliseconds.
>
> The same seems to happen with Jackd, which uses similar code.
>
> Is there anything in the Pi's system or configuration that
> excludes multichannel cards ?

Not that I'm aware of. I've used an older Pi2 with a Gigaport HD+ USB
device (eight RCA outputs at 44k1) with usable results for 5.1, and my
KODI-based media center plays 5.1 movie content over (albeit over HDMI)
flawlessly without breaking a sweat, ever.

If your quality requirements are modest you might want to look at the
AudioInjector Octo I²S sound card for the Pi. I have two from an early
series with known manufacturing defects, but if the developer (a very
open-sourcey hardware hacker guy that is generally very helpful) has
managed to get his chinese manufacturer to ramp up the quality control,
it might be an option.
I did a few measurements with this card a while ago:
http://forum.audioinjector.net/viewtopic.php?t=3090

I have never used a professional USB multichannel card on the Pi since I
don't own one (still stuck with aging ExpressCard Multi- and MADIfaces).
But I'm trying to borrow one for testing becaus I have a similar usecase
in the near future...

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland