Re: [LAD] jackd not using jackdrc...

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2018 - 11:46:02 EEST

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 09:49:15 +0200, Fokke de Jong wrote:
>google told me someone with the same problem solved it by installing
>either libjack-jackd2-dev or libjack-dev. in installed libjack-dev,
>but it didn’t help so i removed it again.

The '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjack*so' symlinks
against '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjack*so*', as well as the header
files provided by
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/amd64/libjack-jackd2-dev/filelist
(jack2) are required to build apps, they are not required at runtime.

The additional *.a files provided by
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/amd64/libjack-dev/filelist (jack1)
are also not required at runtime.

Without the 'dev'elopment packages you can't build apps that should use
jack. Once you build such apps, you could remove those packages.

That Debian and Ubuntu split jack packages
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jackd2
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jack-audio-connection-kit
and that to workaround the jack1/jack2 'issue' the virtual 'jack'
package is required, not necessarily could be considered a
'user-friendly' policy and package management. Arch Linux has got a
different policy and another package management. Even a clueless Arch
Linux user could _not_ come in the position to wonder, if a jack
package might be missing, since jack1, as well as jack2 are each
provided by a single package and no virtual package is required either.

IIRC in the past there indeed were symlink issues, since the
Debian and/or Ubuntu maintainers didn't split the packages correctly.