Re: [LAD] should JACK programs autostart the server?

From: Jacek Konieczny <jajcus@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 20 2018 - 09:15:40 EEST

On 2018-09-20 05:30, bill-auger wrote:
> the debian maintainer of freewheeling suggested that it should
> autostart the server if it is not running (change JackNoStartServer to
> JackNullOption)
>
> i have my opinion; but i am interested in others

I hate apps auto-starting Jack. Setting Jack right is a tricky task and
it is good to have proper way to monitor the daemon. That is why we have
front-ends like qjackctl or Cadence. With jack auto-started in the
background we loose much of the control and apps may become
unpredictable when they are sometimes started after qjackctl/Cadence and
sometimes before that. I prefer to see the warning message that Jack is
not running.

On the other hand, I can understand some may prefer more transparent
behavior, like it happens with PulseAudio.

Jacek