Re: [LAD] should JACK programs autostart the server?

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 20 2018 - 17:48:45 EEST

On 2018-09-20 13:02, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 03:30:31AM +0000, bill-auger wrote:
>
>> the debian maintainer of freewheeling suggested that it should
>> autostart the server if it is not running (change JackNoStartServer to
>> JackNullOption)
>>
>> i have my opinion; but i am interested in others
>
> Definite NO.
>
> People who suggest autostarting usually don't understand what
> Jack is and how it is used.

may i add my 2-point not-so-extreme-stance-of-sorts?

there it goes:

a. jackdbus *do* auto-start the jack-server if not already running;

b. legacy jackd *do* auto-start exactly what's in "~/.jackdrc" file;
fwiw. i do have this "/absolute/path/to/qjackctl --start" in there, so
that qjackctl pops up whenever a(ny) jack client application is called
;) (*)

both of the above scenarios are summoned as soon jack_client_open() is
called *without* the JackNoStartServer option set.

my.02eur
cheers

--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela
(*) ps. i often test over recent jack2/jackdbus "enabled" distros (read