Re: [LAD] [A plugin scanner:] Cache text file formats: rdf, ttl, custom xml?

From: Tim <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2018 - 07:52:31 EET

On 10/29/2018 12:40 AM, Hermann Meyer wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> On guitarix we wrap the LADSPA/LV2 plugins to our own internal plugin
> format and save instructions in json format.
>
> Downside of cached information is, that it could clash on plugin load
> when the plugin have changed it's ports (updated).
>
> So when you save plugin information on your own, you need to check
> before you at least load the plugin, if the cached information is still
> valid.
>
> regards
>
> hermann

Hi Hermann.

Yes that was of great concern from the start of this effort.

Scenario 1: While the the program is not running, the user
  installs, moves, removes, or upgrades a plugin, then runs
  the program.
I have an idea at program startup to compare the date/time
  of each given plugin path with the one of the cache file.
If different, reload the cache.

Scenario 2: While the the application is running - perhaps already
  for hours into a project - the user decides to install, move, remove,
  or upgrade a plugin. Watch out !
I have an idea to 'watch' all the given plugin paths for changes
  and take appropriate action: Crash ;-)
I don't think the scenario is too drastic though.
The plugins already loaded into memory should still hopefully be OK.
It might not be wise to alter my data or info of an already loaded
  plugin if it is deleted or removed or upgraded, but at the very
  very least I would like to be able to support loading a
  'brand new' plugin if it suddenly appears.

Also IIUC sometimes plugin ports can be created on-the-fly? Ouch.

About my cache format: Since the highest denominator (most advanced)
  in all these plugin types would be LV2, I think it would be really
  cool if the Turtle tools or libraries could report ALL types
  of plugins and generate new ttl files on the fly from found plugins.
Then we could all simply use our same LV2 discovery codes to examine
  all plugin types found.
So in this 'grand' scheme TTL files would not only come with
  installed plugins but also generated on the fly for new
  discovered plugins lacking such information.
Sound crazy?

Hope you saw my guitar instructional video post on LAU a
  few months back.

Cheers.
Tim.