Re: [LAD] [A plugin scanner:] Cache text file formats: rdf, ttl, custom xml?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2018 - 23:15:35 EET

On 10/30/2018 09:36 AM, Hermann Meyer wrote:

>>> yep.
>>>
>>> On Unix systems already loaded .so will be kept in memory. On Windows
>>> you cannot write/replace to a file that is currently opened.
>>>
>>> You can skip and postpone scanning of plugins that are currently in use
>>> until the next session load.
>>>

>> During plugin development I check plugins usually (first) in jalv.

That's good advise.

>> Sometimes I forgot that I've loaded a plug already and update it,
>> result is always a crash in jalv.
>>
>> The same happen in Mixbus4, I've just checked it, out of curiosity.

Ardour/Mixbus does no do as I suggested (it does not skip loaded
plugins). I mentioned it so that others don't make the same mistake.

> True, there is no problem when the update didn't happen in-place, means
> remove the older bundle and then install the new one ( like most package
> mangers does).

In Ardour and jalv's implementation the LV2 world is constructed
statically at application start. Changes won't be picked up correctly.
It's different for VST

Also there may be conflicts by loading the plugin and later open a
mismatching GUI (different .so).

I usually think of changing or adding/removing plugins to be like adding
another [analog] stomp-box effect pedal between a guitar and amp. That
involves to re-plug cables. You don't usually do that while playing nor
while the amp is turned up.

the point is: I don't think it is important that the plugin-scanner must
be able to cope with changing plugins.

What would be nice though is to support scanning in background with a
priority list: When loading a session, first check the plugins that are
already in the session. block and wait until they're re-scanned.
Then load the session and continue plugin discovery in the background.

ciao,
robin