Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:25:14 EEST

Le Sat, 08 Sep 2001, vous avez écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a hardcore power GNU/Linux user, and have been for around 6-7 years. This means I use Windows to play games and write music ::-). I have, every now and then, tried to convert the music side of my Windows usage to GNU/Linux. I'd like to hear what people think is the optimum combination of software to meet my needs. Any information resulting from this question would make a great FAQ entry, and I would love to assemble the data and ship it off to a FAQ maintainer if there is one.
>
> First, a bit about my setup and habits. I'm a low-budget digital musician. This means I have a) a PC I use ase an Audio Workstation and b) an old MIDI capable Korg synth (DSS1). My sound hardware is a SoundBlaster Live. I use the MIDI capabilities of my synth coupled with Cakewalk to build scores of my songs. I use Sonic Foundry's SoundForge to mix digital tracks and apply basic effects. I use EAX patches to apply more complicated sets of effects, as well as effects that Soundforge doesn't have. I don't usually use real instruments, and when I do I record digital tracks via a decent Mic, which I also use for vocal tracks.
>
> Second, what I've tried. I've looked into the ARTS project's work, as well as The Project Formerlly Known as 'Brahms' (don't recall what they call it now...). Newer versions of Brahms and ARTS looked fairly promising, but I don't use KDE, and quake in fear at the thought of downloading it over my 28.8 connection. I once tried the Jazz MIDI sequencer, but it insisted on crashing. A brief glance at GNU's music notation/sequencer seemed to seriously lack lots of features I have come to depend on from Cakewalk.
>
> Now, I do believe I have some limitations - SB Live in OSS certainly doesn't support the onboard sequencer. I haven't looked at ALSA since before emu10k1 support existed. Assuming it does support SBLive's internal sequencer, can it dynamically load SoundFonts? Is there a limit to how large they may be? My Windows setup has around 75MB of main memory dedicated to patches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ross Vandegrift
> ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

Hello,

I have an old DSS1 too, a nice sampler with analog filters.

I would second what has been said about Smurf,MusE and Bhrams.

But you will have to wait that Smurf becomes compatible with the last version of
Alsa (0.9b7). Presently it will segfault. It should not be a big wait.

The last verision of Alsa allow soundfont bigger than > 32 mb, if it matters..

The only minor point is that Alsa doesn't provide reverb effect for the sblive
soundfont player which is a little annoying sometimes.

Linium

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:43:15 EEST