Re: [linux-audio-user] SBLive mailing list?

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 00:25:05 EEST

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Richi Plana wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >The Midiman cards have above all excellent sound quality. You can use
> >all important combinations of samplerate/resolution. You don't get any
> >effects, like the SBLive has, instead you get the pure sound without
> >noise and distortions.
> >
> >And you get qualitiy connections to the outside analog world: RCA jacks
> >all over the place, no tiny jacks.
> >
> One question, though: How are the drivers under Linux? Are there
> OpenSource OSS drivers? Closed source? ALSA support?

I have the top of the line Midiman Delta 66. Red Hat 7.2 does not support it.
OSS/Linux (closed source, payware) does support it, but the documentation is
primitive. Alsa supports it and the documentation is *less* than primitive. I
did not realize when I bought it that I was going to need to do driver-level
integration to get it to work. I never did get it to work; I'm doing rendering
to WAV files on my Linux box and recording on a Windows system :-(. Maybe
the situation has improved since March, but as of then, using the Midiman
Delta 66 ("envy" chipset) with Red Hat was a *major* hassle. I'm particularly
disappointed in Alsa.

--
znmeb_AT_aracnet.com (M. Edward Borasky) http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.