Re: [linux-audio-user] SBLive mailing list?

From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 12:15:46 EEST

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky hat gesagt: // M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I have the top of the line Midiman Delta 66. Red Hat 7.2 does not support it.
> OSS/Linux (closed source, payware) does support it, but the documentation is
> primitive. Alsa supports it and the documentation is *less* than primitive. I
> did not realize when I bought it that I was going to need to do driver-level
> integration to get it to work. I never did get it to work.

I would recommend to upgrade to ALSA-cvs, if that's not to much of a hassle
to you. If problems arise, ask here or on alsa-user. At least the Midiman
Audiophile works great with ALSA-cvs, but I agree, that earlier ALSA's had
problems. For example, with ALSA 0.9.0beta7 I could not get recording with
arecord working.

I found the ALSA documentation enough for a pure user like me. Developers
might need more docs, but ALSA installation is as simple as writing a
matching module-configuration for your card. And that was harder to achieve
with a SBLive card than with the Midiman cards.

One thing missing in the ALSA docs is a clear explanation of the
asoundrc-system. A Howto for all those plughw, plug, front, surround5,
you-name-it thingies would be nice. Any takers?

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______