Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA PCM OSS layer -> high latencies?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA PCM OSS layer -> high latencies?
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 05:37:54 EEST

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Andre Pang wrote:

> I finally tracked down why I was getting _huge_ latencies in (Benno
> Senoner's) latencytest. I was using ALSA's snd-card-ymfpci driver for
> my YMF744B chip and had latencytest running using ALSA's OSS PCM
> emulation. Since switching from that driver to the ymfpci driver that
> comes with the kernel, my latencies went down from an average of 15ms
> to 3ms. My latency spikes, which used to be over 30ms, are now around
> 8-10ms.

i have this same chip (guillemot maxi sound fortissimo), and did some
hacking of latencytest to show more information. i only get one spike
(overrun) at the beginning of playing sound (this happens under windows as
well).

> Of course, I can't be sure whether the source of latency is from the
> snd-card-ymfpci driver or from snd-pcm-oss, but I'd guess it's the
> latter. Anyone want to do some benchmarking? I've done enough to
> last me the next two years, I think :).

i glanced at the source but i don't know enough about c to make any sense
of it. perhaps this should be addressed to alsa-dev.

-dave