Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA PCM OSS layer -> high latencies?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA PCM OSS layer -> high latencies?
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 14:54:49 EEST

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 12:52:34PM +0400, CLOTILDE wrote:

> wait a minute. I got a yamaha DS-XG too and have some latency
> problems. I'm using asla OSS-emulation . K Vehmanen says that
> there's not significant ltency differnce between OSS-emultation
> and native alsa.
>
> But you say that the alsa driver is not better than the one in
> the kernel??? What kernel and what distro do you use?

I'm using the ymfpci driver that comes with 2.4.9. (Distribution
doesn't matter here).

The only way for you to find out whether there is a significant
latency difference between the drivers on your specific system is
to benchmark. Grab Benno Senoner's latencytest program at
http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/latencytest-0.42-png.tar.gz and
benchmark yourself. There may be something specific to my laptop;
who knows?

I haven't traced the source of the latency yet, but my first bet
is the snd-pcm-oss module, and the second bet is snd-card-ymfpci.

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save