Re: [linux-audio-user] Time-shifted audio recording?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Time-shifted audio recording?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 11:08:03 EEST

Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has tried doing the audio equivalent of a
> TiVo on a standard Linux box. I figure it shouldn't be too difficult
> to record an audio input to the soundcard (from an FM tuner) at a set
> time for a set duration, and compress it on the fly to Ogg Vorbis
> format (to save disk space). That way I can check out some obscure
> late-night radio programme the next day, when the airwaves have
> returned to the usual dull playlists.

We're doing this everyday at the radio station, I'm working. Ecasound ist
by far the best tool for this kind of recording. All other tools like sox,
arecord, you name it, I have found to be not reliable enough. If you fiddle
with ecasound's settings and make it suid, so it can run with realtime
scheduling, ecasound even records stable under higher system load. Ecasoun
even can record directly into mp3 or ogg, which is great for longer
recordings.

Cron is your friend when it comes to timed recordings.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______