Re: [linux-audio-user] trimming a sample to make a perfect loop?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] trimming a sample to make a perfect loop?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 02:47:49 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:

> I still use DAP for this - it's not the best editor, but it's the only
> one I know of that supports loop regions and has a tracking cursor. (I
> wouldn't be surprised if snd can do this using some obscure scheme
> command.) What I do is make a guess where to put the start and end
> loop points, then I turn on forward looping and play the sample. Then
> while it's playing, I adjust the loop points to taste until it sounds
> right. Then if I want to save only the loop, I edit the sample to the
> loop points and save it.
>
> Are there other editors that support loop editing like this? I haven't
> tried some of the recent crop - audacity et al.

I've set up my Snd with a Marks menu that includes the
mark-sample-loop-points function. I tried it on some AIFF files with
internal loop info, the loop points are displayed as advertised. Effects
in Snd can now be delimited to marked areas. The marks themselves can of
course be moved, sync'd, or deleted; I'm not sure if/how new loop points
are exported. I'll have to look into that...

IMHO, DAP really does have a superior loop editing system.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net