Re: [linux-audio-user] Can low-latency patch cause CPU freeze?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Can low-latency patch cause CPU freeze?
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 12:04:56 EEST

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 19:49, Larry Troxler wrote:
> I've installed a 2.4 kernel with low latency patches by downloading the
> Planet CCRMA rpms.
>
> Since then, I've noticed that after a period of time after bootup, I get
> a hard freeze in X - Neither Ctrl-alt-BS nor Ctrl-alt-del does anything,
> and the mouse cursor dissapeears. I don't have an other terminal handy
> to check if I can log in through a serial port. But I'm pretty sure it's
> hardware related because when this happens, the computer does not boot
> up for a period of time, giving the sequence of long beeps like a RAM
> error.
>
> I suspect that given the pattern over time, I have an overheating
> problem somewhere, and was wondering if anyone can think of any reason
> that the low-latency patches could contribute to this. I'm not
> suspecting the patches right way, because this could easily be
> coincidence, but I'd thought I'd ask just in case for some strange
> reason that patches could make the CPU run hotter. Actually, what comes
> to my mind is that possibly the patches cause the cpu to enter an idle
> loop instead of halting when idle, and this is enough to overwhelm my
> CPU fan.
>
> Yeah, I know, this is probably a half, uh, "baked" haha idea, but I just
> wanted to throw this out to the list in case, indeed this could make a
> difference. Again, it could easily be coincidental, but before I go
> swapping hardware, I thought I'd ask just in case. In the mean time, I
> will experiment by disabling the patch (echo "0" > /proc/lowlatency) to
> see if it make a difference.
>
> Regards
>
> Larry Troxler

Make sure you aren't using a broken version of GCC! I got bit by this
one a bunch of times. I use Mandrake 8.0 and it has a seperate package
called egcs that has a "kgcc" which is used to compile their kernels. I
usually edit the Makefile in the linux src and replace gcc in 2
locations in their with kgcc. Make sure when the make process starts
that it is actually using kgcc to compile each object file. If you
suspect the lowlatency patches (I've never had any problems with them
specifically), leave them out all together as a test. Lates..

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)