Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 01:26:29 EET

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 06:15:16PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:

> Yes. I have the Latitude CPi 366; if you have the same built-in
> soundcard as mine (NeoMagic 256), the input is absolutely
> horrible. Output sounds OK - roughly like a typical consumer CD
> player. Input sounds like a broken telephone. I'm not kidding. Also
> the 2.2 kernel driver for this card has a tendency to make only
> horrible screeching sound the first time you use the soundcard (for
> some reason it "fixes itself" if you stop and re-start
> playback). Haven't tried ALSA on this machine yet.

Eek.

> OTOH, according to http://www.pihl.org/linux/linux-dell.html#sound you
> might be getting a Crystal CS4237B chip in there if you're getting the
> D266 XT. Crystal-based soundcards have the potential to not suck if
> the analog stuff around it is tolerable.

I don't know if this suggests if I'm getting the Crystal chip (wow,
almost had a Doors flashback :-]) or not, but the laptop was listed as
a "Intel Pentium 266MHz PII MMX Processor, 64MB RAM Memory, 4.3GB Hard
Drive, 24X CD-ROM Drive (Removable)(Included) , 13.3" Active Matrix
TFT Display (Beautiful), NeoMagic 128-Bit Graphics Accelerator,
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audio, Integrated Speakers,
TouchPad Pointing Device , AC Adapter, Good Lithium-Ion Battery, USB
Port."

> As for me, I'm looking into getting a USB audio device. Latency might
> be bad but apparently they're now quite usable with linux 2.4. (as
> long as the manufacturer is following USB audio spec).

I have a Roland UA-30 USB interface,but haven't tried it under Linux.

Thanks for the info!

--
|> ~The only thing that is not art is inattention~ --- Marcel Duchamp <|
| jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com           http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt |